Magento is one of the feature rich open source eCommerce platform. Magento Comes in two different packages: the Community Edition and Enterprise Edition. The Community Edition is free to download whereas Enterprise Edition has more features but requires a yearly license fee.
Magento offers merchants complete flexibility and control over the user experience, content, and functionality of their online channel. Magento’s intuitive administration interface features powerful marketing tools, a catalog-management engine and is SEO optimized to give merchants the power to create sites that provide an unrivaled and rich online shopping experience for their customers, tailored to their unique business needs.
Magento main features include
- Site Management – control of multiple web sites and stores, Web Services API for easy integration third party application, Fully customizable design, Content Management System for informational Pages, Administration Permission System Roles and Users.
- International Support - multiple languages and currencies, list of allowed countries for registration, purchasing and shipping, localization.
- Search Engine Optimization – Search Engine Friendly, Google SiteMap support, Meta-information for products and categories
- Analytics and Reporting – integrated with Google Analytics and offers many different reports.
- Checkout – one page checkout, SSL support, supports both checkout with and without account.
- Shipping – shipping to multiple addresses, flat rating shipping, supports UPS, UPS XML (account rates), FedEx (account rates), USPS and DHL.
- Payment – different payment methods: credit cards, PayPal, Authorize.net, Google Checkout, checks, money orders, support of external payment modules like Cybersource, ePay, eWAY and many more.
- Mobile Commerce – iPhone Optimized Theme.
- Catalog Management – inventory management, batch import and export of products, different tax rates per location, additional product attributes.
- Product Browsing – multiple images for products, options for extensive reviews, wishlists and much more.
- Catalog Browsing – easy navigation, advanced product filtering system, product comparison.
- Customer Accounts – order status and history, e-mail and RSS feeds for products in the wishlist, newsletter subscription, default billing and shipping address.
- Customer Service – enhanced features for customers’ accounts, Contact Us form, comprehensive order tracking and history, customizable order e-mails.
- Order Management – create orders through admin area, create multiple invoices shipments and credit memos, call center order creation option.
- Marketing Promotions and Tools – Polls, Newsletter Management, Landing Page Tool for Campaigns, Catalog Promotional Pricing by percentage or fixed amount and Flexible Coupons (pricing rules) with ability to restrict to stores/categories/products, Free Shipping Options, Multi-Tier Pricing for quantity discounts, Bundled Products Options etc.